The Zoo Run Run Run, The Zoo Run Run

We had a great time yesterday at the Nashville Zoo Run! I was really dreading the cold, but it wasn't too bad. It helped not having any wind which was nice. In fact about a mile in, I had to take my gloves and scarf off. Brooklyn crossed the start line with me and ran until we entered the zoo and then she had to stay back with daddy. Right after I crossed the 3 mile mark I spotted her again and then she ran with me across the finish line. (Side Note: I wore Brian's Boston Marathon jacket because it is so warm, but what I should have done was write on the back, "This is my husband's jacket." I'm sure people were thinking, "How did this chick ever run the Boston Marathon? She's so slow". Ha.)

That's what I love about races. The whole family can get involved. There's a sense of community as well. We're all out there, not to win, but just to have fun and push ourselves to see what we can really do. I have to admit at the beginning, I was a bit nervous. I hadn't really trained for the race, just because it's been so darn cold and I'm not a fan of running on a treadmill. When I got to the start line, I decided that I was going to see what my body could do. I also wanted to walk/run this race for my sweet son, Jonathan, who would have been born this week. Just thinking of him as I walked gave me that extra boost to push myself and finish. Plus I knew I would have my handsome husband and these two precious faces waiting for me.

Sydney said, "Mommy did you win"? I said, "Sure baby". She started jumping up and down and screaming, "You won, you won". It was the cutest thing and just made me feel so good. On the way home in the car she said, "Mommy, I'm gonna give you my medal. It's for winners, not losers". Cracked me up. Sure enough when we got home she gave me the medal she had been given at a her Mini Trikes Triathlon back in August. That's my tendered hearted Sydney Kate. Today Brooklyn told daddy she wanted to go running with him and she ran a mile in under 17 minutes. I am so proud of her. The girl loves to run. She loves to swim too, so we may have a triathlete on our hands, just like her daddy. We'll have to wait and see.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations