Tuesday's Tip-Household Manual

Every CEO of their household should have a manual.  I got this idea from Tsh Oxenreider who wrote the book Organized Simplicity.  It's a great book and a must have for any one trying to organize their life and household.  If you think about it, everything you buy these days has a manual right?  Every electronics you buy, appliances, cars, you name it, they all come with a manual explaining the directions to operate the item you just bought.  We would be in a heap of trouble if we didn't have those manuals.  Well, maybe not all of us, some of us could probably figure most of the things out, but I know for me, I would be lost.

So it got me thinking.  What are the two most important things in life that don't come with a manual?

Being a wife and raising children.  Sure there are plenty of books out there to read on the subject, but not one specifically for your type of spouse or child.  Wouldn't that be awesome?  Anyway, I decided to create a manual for our house that would keep me organized.  This is so easy to do and costs nothing if you have the supplies laying around the house like I did.  If not, no worries, you are probably looking at well under $10 to make.

I found this notebook down in our classroom in the basement.  I also had scrapbook sheets laying around that I decided to use to glam it up a bit.  You want to make it nice to look at so you don't mind if it sits on the kitchen counter all day.
After you get a notebook, the next step is to fill it.  Tsh has forms on her website that you can download for free.  I printed off her packing list and daily docket.  Then I created the rest of what I thought I needed to run a well organized home.  Here are some snapshots into my household manual.


I have put all of my lists in a plastic sheet protector so I can use my dry erase pens.  I also had these laying around the house, but if you don't have them you can find them at any office supply store.  In my manual I also have these lists:

A calendar
Grocery list
Letter for emergency personnel giving consent for my parents when Brian and I are out of town.
Packing List
Instructions (food, bedtime, etc) for the girls when we are away and someone is caring for them.
Spring Cleaning list
Household Repairs Checklist
List of all my bills and when they are due

Really the sky is the limit to what you want or need in your own manual.  These are just an idea.  I have been using this system for a few months now and I cannot tell you how this has simplified my life.  I love it.  I no longer lose a bill or wonder when the last time the air filters were changed in the house.

The manual you create will help you run your household more efficiently and effectively.  Have fun creating it.  If you have any idea of a list that should be in the manual, please let me know.  I would love to add it to mine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations