Update on the Intervention

I wanted to post a quick update on the intervention since some of you have asked. We're in day 3 and it's going really well. Sydney woke up this morning and immediately started playing. She and Brooklyn played in the playroom, while I got some cleaning done, for over 2 hours. Not once did she mention the word t.v. It was pure bliss.

I have to say that it's a much calmer environment. I was in a better mood this morning as well. We replaced our t.v. with a little stereo we had in another room and I turned on some music while the girls played. Our local Christian radio station is already playing Christmas music and the girls loved it. They were singing along while they played with their toys.

We do have a t.v. in our great room right off of the kitchen and they were able to watch two 1/2 hour shows while I cleaned the kitchen in preparation for Thanksgiving at our house on Thursday. I made an observation that was really interesting. Before the t.v. was turned on late this morning, the girls, especially Sydney, was a peach. She got along great with her sister and was just overall in a good mood. After the t.v. was on for a bit, it all went downhill from there. I'm not sure why that is, but for Sydney, t.v. does something to her mood.

We're doing baby steps here, but eventually I would love for them to not watch any t.v. at all. We'll see if we get to that place or not, but for now, taking the t.v. out of the playroom and limiting their viewing time, is the place to start.

I highly recommend this if you are thinking about doing it. I can't tell you how glad I am that we took the t.v. away. I'm actually looking forward to making a little extra money by selling the 2 t.v.'s that we have, (the other is in the basement). It will come in handy for Christmas. Overall I just love coming up the stairs and seeing two little tables where the kids can sit and do artwork and read a book. It's just so much more calming. Give it a try and see how your kids do. It's worth a shot.

1 comments:

Kimba said...

Caden is the same way! TV really effects his mood and whole attitude. That has happened many times to us...he is a sweet boy, playing nicely, sharing, etc. Then we watch TV and he is rude and disrespectful. He is getting better about that because when we watch TV, I say okay, we can watch TV, but we will turn it off after this 30n min. show. We have to stress over and over that there will be no whining or complaining when we need to turn it off and that TV is a treat to have. Great job, Krista! Thanks for encouraging us moms!

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations