Tuesday's Tip-Getting rid of dust mites

Today's tip I was forced to learn. A little over a year ago I had Sydney tested for allergies. She would cough and cough at night. I had allergies all my life and I knew if she was coughing just at night it had to be allergies. I took her to be tested and sure enough she was severely allergic to dust mites. That is when my journey began to help my sweet Sydney Kate.

Dust mites thrive on moisture. I felt horrible when I found this out because she had been sleeping with a humidifier in her room to help her cough. This only made it worse. So immediately I got rid of the humidifier. The next step was taking all of her stuffed animals out of her room. Some I got rid of and the ones I did keep I just put in the play room.

Then I found a detergent that kills the dust mites and you don't have to wash your fabrics in hot water. It's called Aller-Rx. It's fabulous. I wash all of our bed linens, blankets, stuffed animals and curtains in it. You will have to buy this at an Allergy Relief Store or online here.

I also use a product on the carpet about every 3 months. It's called X-mite. You sprinkle it on the carpet and let it sit for 3 hours and then vacuum it up.

Another thing you have to do is encase your pillows and your mattress with protectors that can stop dust mites from getting in. You have to check the packaging to make sure it says, "protects you from dust mites". All of our beds and pillows have them. It's not cheap, but it's something that you only have to buy once and it really does work.

Here's another tip for stuffed animals. I am not a fan of them, but my girls do have many so I have had to figure out how to get rid of the dust mites that live on them. If it can go in the wash that makes it easy. You can also stick pillows, stuffed animals, etc into the freezer for 24-28 hours. After you take it out you still have to throw it in the wash to get rid of the dust mite remains. If it can't be laundered than take the hose of the vacuum and vacuum over the top of whatever has the dust mites. It will suck up the dead ones.

Sydney is allergic to dead dust mites more than she is those that are alive. Isn't that crazy? So it's not enough to kill them. You have to get rid of them all together.

It's worth the hassle because Sydney does not cough at night anymore. It's been over a year and it's still working. This is amazing. She was off the charts allergic to them so I am one happy mama and so is Syd.

Whether you have a child that is allergic to dust mites or not, this is a great tip to put into practice in your household. I mean do you really want these guys in bed with you?

To learn more about these nasty critters click here. You or your child may be suffering from allergies to these guys and not even know it. Have a good night sleep.

2 comments:

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Your blog header is awesome...and loved your tips...so glad that
I stopped by....Happy Easter

Krista said...

Thanks Teresa. Glad you liked my blog. Happy Easter to you too.

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations