Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning?

10 years ago today, I was on the way to the Nashville Airport to drop off my parents and my sisters for their flight to Southern California.  We had a concert there the following weekend and I was going to be flying out a few days later.  I was a newlywed of 5 months and I wanted more time at home with my new husband.  We were on the interstate when we heard a plane had flown into the World Trade Center.  We were horrified and wondered what could have caused a pilot to crash into the building.  I don't think terrorist attack even crossed our minds.

Then the second plane hit the other tower, and that's when we knew that it was no accident.  I nervously dropped my family off at the airport and proceeded to go back home.  I gave Brian a call at work and he said that his boss was closing the office and wanted all of his employees to head to his house.  I drove to his bosses house and that's where I watched the towers fall.

About an hour later, I got a call from my mom that they had boarded the plane, but then they were told that their flight was cancelled.  All flights had been grounded.  I got back in my car and went to the airport to pick them up.  The rest of the day, I was glued to the TV, like most Americans. 

I got a chance to go to New York in June for the first time ever.  I told my friend Micah that I wanted to see ground zero.  As I walked by I couldn't help but get teary eyed.  It was an incredible sight to see.  I can't imagine what it was like that day to be so close to the buildings as they were burning.  I can't imagine what it was like to see people jumping to their deaths.  What must it have been like to run for your life as the towers came crashing down?




They have a memorial site set up just down the street from Ground Zero.  They have a model of what the memorial site will look like when it's completed.  It was overwhelming to see all of the signs people had made looking for their lost loved ones.  I personally didn't know anyone who lost their lives on that horrible day, but today as I watched the videos all over again, I was brought to tears.  Tears for those innocent lives that were lost.  Tears for the young fathers and mothers who never got the chance to see their children grow up.  Tears for the brave fire fighters and police officers who risked their lives to save just one.  Tears for the brave women and men aboard Flight 93 who saved countless lives by crashing into a field in Shanksville, PA.

We Will Never Forget.  I Will Never Forget.  God Bless America!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations