Tuesday's Tip-Yummy and oh so good for you pops

Summer isn't officially here yet, but man it is hot. Here in Nashville the temp is 90 with a heat index of 100. I am not a fan at all, but what can you do except try to stay cool.

We've been going to the pool alot and eating popsicles like no tomorrow. I don't let the girls eat the popsicles you buy from the store because there are full of dyes and corn syrup. I make mine from scratch and the kids love them.

Yesterday I made a huge batch of coconut smoothie and after the girls were done drinking it, I poured the rest in my popsicle maker. The kids love these popsicles and I don't mind if they have 2 of them a day. I know the only sugar they are getting is in it's natural state from the fruit. I add no other sweetener.

Here is one recipe that is so simple and has just 3 ingredients. It's my take on the classic Pina Colada.

1 can of coconut milk
1 cup of frozen pineapple
1 banana (I like to peel and cut my banana and freeze the chunks)

That's it. Put it in a blender and then pour in your popsicle maker.

I ran across the coconut milk ingredient by accident. I usually use coconut kiefer (it's like coconut yogurt and contains no dairy) but I didn't have any. I wondered what I would use for my liquid base and then I remembered I had cans of coconut milk in the pantry. It worked perfectly. I actually will continue to use the milk because it's cheaper than the coconut kiefer.

Here's my healthier version of the above:

1 can of coconut milk
1 tbsp of New Chapter Berry Greens (LOVE THIS brand! You can get it at Vitamin Shoppe or Whole Foods)
1 tbsp of ground flax seeds (I buy whole flax seeds, it's cheaper, and grind them in a coffee grinder)
1 scoop whey protein powder
crushed pineapple
crushed mango
frozen bananas

I guess on my frozen fruit. The kids like to help and throw it in the Vitamix. I always taste it and if it doesn't taste sweet enough I add more fruit. This is the best way to hide veggies. They get all their greens in for the day in the smoothie and popsicle and they have no idea.

Try experimenting with your smoothies. I throw all sorts of things in it and to my amazement, it turns out great. I stock up on alot of organic frozen fruit. It never goes bad and it makes your smoothie instantly cold and drinkable.

What is your favorite smoothie or popsicle to make? I'd love to have the recipe. Stay cool out there.

1 comments:

Laura said...

Thank you for posting this!

For us: I take plain yogurt and food process it with a bag of frozen fruit (any variety) with a touch of vanilla. I pour those into popscicle molds and freeze. The girls LOVE them, and I confess that we do too.

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations