Switcheroo Sunday-Ketchup

I'm back with my Switcheroo Sunday posts.  I've had many friends ask my opinion about switching the foods that they eat.  They feel overwhelmed and have no idea where to start.  So I hope this will help you all out.  Instead of trying to change your whole pantry or fridge all at once, choose 1 item every week to change.  Buy the time Fall rolls around, you will have switched about 20 items.     

I think most homes in America have this condiment in their pantries.  It's really an American staple, is it not?  I mean, a hot dog or french fries just don't feel complete without it.  What you might not know, is that in this bright red bottle lurks a dirty little word, HFCS, aka, High Fructose Corn Syrup.  I'm sure you have heard the debate over HFCS through the years.  Some say it's no worse than sugar and others say it's a man made chemical that should be avoided. 

I have to agree with the later.  Here's why.  HFCS is made from corn, Genetically Modified corn.  Unlike real cane sugar that grows from a plant, HCFS is engineered in a lab.  There is research that shows that the more you consume HCFS, the more likely you are to be overweight?  That can go for sugar as well, but my rule of thumb is to eat as close to how God created things to be. 

The second reason to switch your ketchup is because the tomatoes are not organic.  What does that mean?  It means that they are heavily sprayed with pesticides and more than likely, are GMO, genetically modified organisms.  I'll go into further details about GMO's in a later post.

Heinz ketchup contains tomato concentrate made from red ripe tomatoes, distilled vinegar, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, salt, spice, onion powder, and natural flavors.

Tomato Paste (Made from ripe tomatoes), Liquid Sugar, White Vinegar, Salt, Orion Powder, Spices Salt, Sugar, Lactose Syrup, Red Ripe Tomato's, Onion Pepper, Spice's, and Natural Flavouring.

This switch is super easy.  You can even stick with the same brand, Heinz.  I know around our house, Heinz is the only brand my family likes.  I tried a different brand of organic ketchup years ago and no one would eat it.  I can honestly say, you cannot tell the difference between Heinz organic and non organic ketchup.
Organic tomato concentrate made from red ripe organic tomatoes, organic distilled vinegar, organic sugar, salt, organic onion powder, organic spices, natural flavoring.

So what is the difference between the two?  The organic version uses organic tomatoes and organic sugar.  The original version uses HFCS and pesticide ridden tomatoes.  Yes, there is still sugar in the organic version, but I would much prefer my kids to eat organic sugar than the HFCS.  I don't worry that much about the sugar in ketchup because we don't eat alot of it.  Primarily because we don't eat alot of processed foods.  I think we've had the same bottle of ketchup for about 6 months.  I better go check the expiration date.

So how does the organic version compare to the original version in price?  At my local Publix, the original 14 oz bottle of Heinz ketchup is $1.79.  The organic version is $3.19.  To me, it's worth it to spend more for better ingredients.  Of course you could always use coupons or wait until it goes on sale and stock up.  I try to do that all the time with organic food because it is more expensive.

I hope you have found this week's Switcheroo helpful.  Do you have a product you would love for me to Switcheroo?  Leave me a comment and let me know.  If you'd like to check out more Switcheroo Sunday's, click on the tab at the top of the page.

1 comments:

Donielle said...

I have never seen organic heinz! I can find HFCS free ketchup, but I've heard the sugar beets are GMO. Grrr. I'll have to look out for this. :-)

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations