Switcheroo Sunday-Reusable Cloths

I am a girl that uses a lot of paper towels. I have 2 little girls so that means lots of messes. I don't think I truly understood what messy was until they came along. I used paper towels to clean off the counter tops, wipe up spills, use them as napkins, etc.. I would probably go through a roll every few days. That gets expensive, not to mention all the waste I was producing that would end up in a landfill.

I like to be green when I can, but I am not obsessed with it. I recycle plastics, paper, cans, and cardboard. I use organic cleaners in my home because I want to remove as many toxins that I can from our home for the health of my family. I'm so glad to see that more people are buying organic cleaning products for their homes instead of the ones we've used for years that contain harmful chemicals. (In a few weeks I am going to do a Switcheroo Sunday where I give you homemade recipes for cleaning products to use around your home.)

So recently I made the switch from paper towels to reusable cloths. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't get rid of my paper towel addiction cold turkey. I still keep paper towels at my house, but for everyday clean up I have switched to reusable cloths. I buy my cloths from Trader Joe's ($3 for a pack of 2), but you can probably find them anywhere these days. I use one for a day and then at night after I clean the kitchen I throw it in the wash. If I need to clean up after I handle raw meat or anything that may contain harmful bacteria, I use a paper towel and throw it in the trash. I don't want to take any chances.

Another way you can save on papertowels is to keep a washcloth in your kitchen for hands and faces after the kids get done eating. I haven't done this yet, but am planning on buying a small pack of washclothes just to keep in the kitchen.

Let me know if you have made the switch. I would love to know how it's working for you.

1 comments:

Michelle Lynne said...

Krista, when my Sydney was born I ended up with a TON of baby washcloths. At first I wondered what I was going to do with all of them, but then I started using some of them in the kitchen to wipe off her face and hands (and sometimes arms, legs, and feet too!) after she eats. They work GREAT! They are inexpensive and just the right size to use on little munchkins!

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations