Switcheroo Sunday-Air Freshner

I love to have my house smell good. I also love to burn candles and spray air freshener. I even had one of those automatic air fresheners near the front door that automatically went off every 30 minutes. I wanted to have my house smell good when people came over. What I didn't realize is that everytime it went off I was harming my family.

When I started to study what those air fresheners were doing to my body when I inhaled them, I stopped using them.

Here are some stats from the University of Bristol in regards to effects of air fresheners:

32% more babies suffered diarrhea in homes where air fresheners were used every day, compared with homes where they were used once a week or less, and they had significantly more earaches in these homes as well. Air fresheners also affected mothers—those who used them daily suffered nearly 10% more headaches. Perhaps most surprising is the finding that women who lived in homes with daily air freshener use had a 26% increased risk of depression. That was enough for me to quit cold turkey. My allergies also dissapeared when I stopped using them. Coincedence I think not.

Phthalates are in most air fresheners whether it's the kind you spray, plug in or have sitting decoratively on a table. You can read the transcripts of an interview with Julie Chen from the CBS Morning show here regarding air fresheners and the harm they can do. Studies have shown that phthalates can damage the liver, the kidneys, the lungs and the reproductive system, especially the developing testes. It is my personal belief that this is one reason infertility is on the rise. You will find Phthalates in almost everything from make-up to plastics. I will talk more about phthalates in this week's Tuesday's Tip. You don't want to miss it.

I still like my house to smell good so I found a solution to combat stinky odors. I still use them sparingly, but don't worry about the effects on my family's health when I do spray some.

I switched from these:

To this: I have Vanilla and Cinnamon and love them. They are made from essential oils. You can see the list of ingredients here. They are $4.99 each and they have 5 different scents. One spray will do ya because it's concentrated and it last for hours.

I love this company. I also use their laundry detergent (you can get it for a great price at Costco) and it's fabulous. I did a Switcheroo Sunday last year on it. You can read it here. Whole Foods also sells some of their products like dishwashing soap and detergent.

Do you need an air freshener intervention?

Disclaimer: This is my opinion. I do not get paid to endorse any products that I suggest. I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on t.v. I am just a mom who enjoys researching the ingredients in the products my family uses and the foods that we eat. Thank you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations