Switcheroo Sunday

My Switcheroo for today is how to make a better bowl of oatmeal. Oatmeal is a wonderful breakfast to have because it is packed with fiber. In my quest for better health I discovered that there are some oatmeal's that are better than others. The one below is loaded with sugar and other added ingredients that I just don't need in my diet. We love to have oatmeal in the morning for our breakfast. This is what we used to eat:

Here are the ingredients in this oatmeal that I took directly from Quaker's website. WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS (WITH OAT BRAN), SUGAR, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, SALT, CALCIUM CARBONATE, GUAR GUM, OAT FLOUR, CARAMEL COLOR, NIACINAMIDE*, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, REDUCED IRON, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE*, RIBOFLAVIN*, THIAMIN MONONITRATE*, FOLIC ACID*.

As you can see there is a ton of sugar, natural and artificial flavors, salt, caramel color, and the list goes on. All of these ingredients take away the fact that oatmeal is good for you when you eat an oatmeal like this. If you want to eat instant oatmeal try Quaker's orginal oatmeal with no added sugar. You control how much natural sugar you put into it.

Here is what we did to make the switch. We've been using McCann's Irish Quick and Easy steel cut oats for over a year now and love it. Why steel cut oats? It packs more fiber than rolled oats do.

Here is how I make it and it only takes 5 minutes on the stove. Boil water and add oats. Cover for 5 minutes on low. No stirring needed. That's it. Really simple. To sweeten it I use Raw Agave Nectar and add craisins and almonds. If you haven't discovered Agave Nectar you should try it. It is delicious and probably the best sweetener for you. It is low on the glycemic index which means it won't make your blood sugar spike quickly. You can read more about Agave Nectar here.

Do you have a favorite way to eat your oatmeal? I would love to hear about it.

Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion. I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on t.v. I am just a consumer who loves to read and learn about how to be healthier for me and my family.

1 comments:

Brian Roberts said...

Do you have a small crock pot? We do Steel Cut oats overnight in the 4 QT Crock Pot on Low, 4 1/2 C water to 1 C oats. Really easy and so nice to wake up to!

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations