Switcheroo Sunday- A Better Hot Dog

Today I fed my girls hot dogs for lunch, so I decided that would be my Switcheroo. If you are new to my blog, welcome. Every Sunday I do a Switcheroo. I take a not so healthy version of a product and switch it with the healthier version. Today it's the All American hot dog.

With spring coming and summer not too far off, hot dogs and hamburgers become the staple in most of our diets. I want to show you how you can make a healthier switch for your family.

Most hot dogs you buy at the store, especially if they are not Kosher, will have fillers and by products in them. You probably don't really want to know how those are made. If you do, research it online. It's rather disgusting.

Kosher all beef hot dogs are better for you than non Kosher, but those hot dogs also have nitrates and nitrites in them. Studies have shown that nitrites are a powerful cancer causing chemical. Deli meats also have nitrates in them unless it says differently on the package or you buy organic. If you are pregnant you should avoid deli meats and hot dogs. They can carry a bacteria called Listeria which is extremely harmful to your baby.

So instead of this:


Ingredients: BEEF, WATER, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: SALT, CORN SYRUP, DEXTROSE, SODIUM LACTATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATES, SODIUM DIACETATE, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), EXTRACTIVES OF PAPRIKA, DRIED GARLIC, SPICE, SODIUM NITRITE.

Try this:

Love this company and what they stand for. You can visit their site here. Their products have no MSG, no nitrates or nitrites, no antibiotics, no fillers, chemicals or hormones.
If you have a Costco in your area you can buy them there for a really good price. You get a package of 3, 8 packs (a total of 24 hot dogs) for $9.99. To me it's worth a little bit extra to know my girls are eating a better hot dog.

Stay tuned for another post this week about the link to hormones in meats and milk and infertility.

Where's the beef?

Disclaimer: This is my opinion. I do not get paid to endorse any products that I suggest. I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on t.v. I am just a mom who enjoys researching the ingredients in the food I eat and buying whole organic food. Thank you.


2 comments:

Jake said...

That was a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing! Articles like this keep my updated with the current situations in our society or different body of knowledge that a human must know especially about medicine specifically about vitamins and health related topics. I admire you guys for sharing your post.


Kosher Vitamins

Jake said...

Thanks a lot for the post. I love to read articles which are about medicine or health related topics. They keep me up to date with the current issues. I hope to read more from you!

Kosher Vitamins

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations