Switcheroo Sunday-Toothpaste

My switcheroo for today I have been doing for about 3 years or more. I used to use Colgate which I liked, but one look at the ingredients made me change my mind. Three little letters, SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate), which is not meant to be in or on the body, made me switch. What is SLS? In the cleaning industry, SLS is used in garage floor cleaners, engine degreasers, car-wash soaps, etc. It is very corrosive and readily attacks greasy surfaces. It's used in cosmetics and soaps because it's inexpensive and it makes things foamy. A study at the University of Georgia Medical College, indicated that SLS penetrated into the eyes as well as brain, heart and liver and showed long-term retention in the tissues. The study also indicated that SLS penetrated young children's eyes which prevented them from developing properly and caused cataracts to develop in adults. It also may cause hair loss by attacking the follicle. It's also classified as a drug in bubble baths because it eats away skin protection and causes rashes and infection to occur.
Researchers also believe it is potentially harmful to skin and hair because it cleans by corrosion.
The next time you take a shower, look to see if their is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in your shampoo and body soap. If you are not using organic, you will probably see it. All of this information led me to make the switch from this:
To this. Tom's of Maine toothpaste. I love it. This is SLS free as well and fluoride free. I don't like to use fluoride myself and make sure the girls don't get it when they go to the dentist. I did some research on fluoride and realized that it's something our teeth just don't need. In fact, over time it makes your teeth soft and brittle. I will go more into fluoride in another blog later. You have to make sure to read the label closely on Tom's of Maine toothpaste because they do have some that have SLS in them. Cost is $4.99

I went to Trader Joe's today and found an all natural toothpaste with no SLS or fluoride for $1.99. I haven't tried it yet, but I couldn't beat the price so I bought it. I will let you know how I like it. Happy brushing.

2 comments:

Tawny Coates said...

Love this blog. Rob and I did a lot of research on SLS a little while back and could not believe what it was and how many things it was in. We have switched our shampoo, conditioner, face cleanser, and soap to Burts Bees. Definitely a little more expensive but has been a world of a difference. I have a very sensitive face, but since using Burts Bees it has done great on my face. Thanks for all the advise and ideas you give us. I love reading all your new findings.

Charla (SHar-la) said...

Hello! I just dropped by from Kelly's Korner and wanted to say how excited I am to read your book coming to us in the Spring. I have experienced 2 miscarriages and are now over 3 1/2 years into our infertility battle. I'm always seeking out books of hope from a Christian woman's perspective! Can't wait!

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations