Switcheroo Sunday (Chocolate Syrup)

I love that people get ideas and like my blog. I saw my friend Terra at church today and she asked me what my Switcheroo Sunday was for today, so girlfriend, this ones for you. Thanks for reading.

Brooklyn loves chocolate milk. In our house we've switched from cow's milk to Almond milk for reasons I will share in another blog. One day I decided to look at the ingredients on the back of the chocolate syrup bottle and what I saw was not surprising really. The first two ingredients were High Fructose Corn Syrup and then corn syrup. There are a bunch of ingredients that follow and then end with artificial flavors.
I had to find something that was better for her. So off I went to Whole Foods. I love that store. I know I say it over and over but you really can find an alternative to anything. Sure enough, they carry Organic Ah!laska Chocolate Syrup. Here are the ingredients in the syrup. Organic evaporated cane juice, water, organic cocoa, xanthan gum, organic vanilla and citric acid. It's dairy free, gluten free, peanut free, tree nut free, cholesterol free, sodium free and fat free.
I feel so much better giving Brooklyn chocolate milk than I did before the switch. I've tasted it myself and it's delicious. I also use it in the protein shakes that I make. The cost is more expensive. I'm not gonna lie. The Hershey's syrup is $1.89 at Walmart and this syrup is if I recall $5.99. To me it's worth it. I've decided I would rather pay more for great quality and good for you food, than put junk in my body that costs less. That's just me. The way I look at it we only get one body and what we put in it now affects our lives now and later down the road. I am so not perfect in this area believe me. I fall and stumble just like anyone so please don't think I have it all together. I just want to do the best for my family as I know you do, too. I want to challenge you to look in your pantry or fridge this week and find 1 item that you can make a switch to a healthier one. I'd love to hear what you come up with so leave a comment so I can learn something from you.
I raise my glass of chocolate milk to you in good health.
UPDATE: 12/13/09- Just went to Trader Joes today and found an organic chocolate syrup for $2.49. Whoohoo! Love it. Stocked up while I was there. Now I don't feel so bad buying the good stuff.

1 comments:

Terra said...

Love the plug, I reecently switched Greer over to almond milk. However, he is a chocolate milk boy too. I buy chocolate organic soy and reg almond milk and mix the two.

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations