Switcheroo Sunday (Dishwasher Gel)

I'm starting a new feature on my blog called "Switcheroo Sunday". Every Sunday I will show you something that I have switched in our house in order to be healthier or more green. It could be food related, greener cleaning supplies, etc.

The switcheroo for today is my dishwasher detergent. A couple of weeks ago I poured some water into a glass that had recently come out of the dishwasher. As I drank it I tasted the Cascade detergent that I use. I asked Brian to drink some water to see if he could taste it and he could. It was pretty strong. So that got me thinking about what I was actually consuming from my so called "clean dishes". I decided to try an experiment and make my own homemade dishwashing liquid. Would it really work? All of the ingredients but one, I had in my pantry. The one thing I did have to buy was Castile Soap.

So off to Whole Foods I went to buy the soap. You cannot use regular soap in this recipe unless you wants suds all over your kitchen floor. Castile soap is a low sudsing soap. Like I said, the other ingredients I got out of my pantry.
The recipe is:

1/2 cup Tea Tree Liquid Castile Soap (they have different fragrances but you want to get Tea Tree because it's an anti fungal.)
1/2 cup water
1/2 white vinegar
1 tsp of fresh lemon juice

Combine water and liquid soap and stir. Add lemon and vinegar. Stir and store in an air tight container. Use 2 tablespoons per load. You will need to shake it before each use. It will liquefy and separate when stored.

I have loved this and my glasses no longer taste like Cascade. It was so fun and Sydney actually helped me make it. It's all natural, good for you and good for the environment so it's a win win. It's also very cost effective to make. I wanted to try out the castile soap before I bought a big bottle in case I didn't like it, but I will be buying the biggest bottle they have next time. Vitamin Shoppe also sells Castile soap.

So that's my switcheroo for today. If you try it, let me know how you like it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations