Switcheroo Sunday-Antiperspirants

This Switcheroo I have been doing for over 4 years. I feel really strongly about this one. I made the switch from Secret deodorant to an all natural deodorant. Why did I make the switch to natural deodorant? One word, aluminum. There is aluminum in all antiperspirant deodorant, unless you get a natural deodorant.

Here are the ingredients in Secret:
Active Ingredients:Aluminum Zirconium Trichlorohydrex Gly 20% (Anhydrous).Inactive Ingredients:Cyclopentasiloxane; Mineral Oil; Polyethylene; Quaternium-18 Hectorite; Propylene Carbonate; Fragrance; Dipropylene Glycol.

Do you know what toxin Alzheimers patients have very high levels of when tested? You guessed it, aluminum.
Let's face it, aluminum is a toxin. Alzheimers is an awful disease and I want to do everything in my power not to get it. The one main reason I switched was because I didn't want toxins staying in my body when I sweat. I believe God created us to sweat and release toxins and when we wear antiperspirant we stop that from happening. The toxins stay in the body and some studies show that by doing so you also have an increase risk in breast cancer and/or breast lumps. My maternal grandma had breast cancer and had to have a double mastectomy. Both of my younger sisters work with breast cancer patients and I have heard heart breaking stories about women, some my age, battling this horrible disease. I truly believe in some women there is a link between antiperspirants and breast cancer.

One would ask then why is it available on the market? Good question. I really don't know why they do it. I guess some could argue that it's about making money or maybe it's just that not enough research has been done. Whatever the case may be, I am more convinced that it is my job to do the research on the products that I use everyday to see if they are harmful to me and my family.

Another interesting fact about antiperspirants is that if you look on the back of it there is a warning that says, "Do not apply on broken skin". This is exactly what happens when we apply it after a shower and when we've shaved. The skin is open and broken. The toxin absorption increases two fold, allowing even more chemicals into the bloodstream. Remember, your skin is the largest organ on your body. Everything that goes on your skin gets absorbed into the bloodstream. The body has to then try to get rid of the toxin. This is one reason why I don't wear perfume as well. Just more toxins for my body to try to detox.

So you may be thinking, "I don't think I'd want to get too close to this girl if she doesn't wear deoderant".  You will be happy to know that I do use deoderant, I just happen to use a natural one instead.  It works well and I've used it now for about 4 years.  I use Tom's of Maine, long lasting care, in Apricot. I used it throughout my pregnancy with Brooklyn in the hot summer months when I was hugely pregnant and it still worked. I do keep one in my purse in case I am at the gym or somewhere where it might be extra hot and I want to reapply. I get mine from the Vitamin Shoppe or Whole Foods, but I think Target may carry it as well. It usually costs around $4.99. When it's on sale I stock up.

I hope this switcheroo was helpful. Let me know if you make the switch and how you liked it. If you use another all natural deodorant let me know that too. I would love to hear your comments.

2 comments:

Lisa Leonard said...

hi krista! so fun to hear from you and see pics of you and your darling girls. sending you big big hugs!!

Elaine L. Bridge said...

Wow - I totally stumbled on your blog while looking for a picture of deodorant and am now convinced that it was no accident. You totally sold me on this topic and I will be switching in the near future thanks to you!! But I think I was even more excited to meet a fellow "daughter of the King"! Your blog is so terrific. From the little I've read of your story I assume you've heard of and read "Heaven is for Real", about a little boy's trip to Heaven and the comfort his words brought to his parents who were grieving the loss of an unborn child.Sounds right up your alley! Loved meeting you today. Thanks for sharing your heart.

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations